Thursday, November 17, 2011

Steph: The Journey

This journey has not been overly fun for me (even if I am only in the 3rd week). I feel like a roller coaster. I have ups when I feel as if it is possible for me to run this 5k. I have downs when I feel as if I will never get past running at my current level (which is only 90 second intervals). There are ups when I am running with friends and we are talking about wine and cheese and boys and FUN! Downs when I feel as if I am behind or need to catch up with other members of the club because I am not progressing as fast.

But today I realized that this feeling is just a smaller acute version of my entire life. There have been ups when I met and married my husband. Downs when my mother passed away. Ups when I finally got to travel to Europe for the first time. Downs when my entire family seems to fall apart. Another journey that (at times) has not been overly fun for me.

And today, I also realized that my body does adjust to the running just as I have adjusted to all the ups and downs in my life. I was not sore today from yesterday's run. This is the first time that has happened. What does it mean???? And I found myself scheduling a 4th run for the week with my husband. What does that mean??? And it means that I will run 2 days in a row instead of making sure there is at least 1 day in between.

So I am feeling that I can adjust to this running thing (well today anyway). And I know in my brain that it is good for me physically. As my trainer and friend told me (JILL), if I can just get through the cardio part and my heart and lungs wanting to give out, the rest of me will be just fine. And the more I thought about it today, the more I believe her. My legs feel fine, so the rest of me will follow if I keep it up.

Just like ... I am content and happy right now in my life. I have a great husband and friends that allow me to be myself. As well as PUSH me when it comes to running.

I am adjusting ... this journey is starting to feel pretty good!

1 comment:

  1. Those adjustments can be some of the most rewarding aspects of running. As long as you enjoy the journey, the ups and downs will just be mile markers (if you will) along the way. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete