Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Steph: Giving Thanks

Sunday was a wonderful day for whine and cheese. Jill and I went shopping at Bob Roncker's to buy me new shoes and then we when to a winery for a tasting and to buy some wine for my party ... WONDERFUL!!!

But the rest of this week has been a new challenge for me. Two of the members of the club went out of town to spend Thanksgiving with their families. So I am left with my lovely husband to run with this week. Therefore, I realized how THANKFUL I am to have Jill and Abby and True to run with because my husband is a BEAR!!!

So Monday, we run. I decide to try the next level on the couch to 5k program ... which means I need to run a couple 3 minute intervals for the first time. Bad decision!!! I should not have tried to push myself with my husband as my jog buddy. This normally laid back, super nice guy is freakin' insane when it comes to running. This man ... who runs 2 miles 3 times a week as his normal .... does not seem to understand that his wife ... a complete couch potato for about 11 years ... is going to need a little time to work up to "2 miles is easy." So I run a 90 second interval, walk 2 minutes, run a 3 min interval, walk 2 min, run a 90 second interval, walk 2 min .... and then I CAN NOT run the next 3 min interval. My logical mind tells me to split it into two 90 min intervals and try again next time .. my husband's logical mind yells at me "c'mon just keep going." NOT HELPFUL!!!

So I talk with my coach (Jill) who tells me that I have created an AWESOME 1/2 step and tells me to try to do this 2 more times this week and then the two of us will try the REAL STEP 3 together next week. So again ... I am THANKFUL to Jill who pumped me back up so that I could keep going!!!!!!!

So today (Wednesday) is a beautiful day and we decide to run at a park instead of the inside track on the Y. We have a discussion about the difference between "motivational comments" and "yelly comments" before we head out to try the same run as Monday. This time, my loving husband talks to me about stupid stuff during the running intervals to keep my mind off the running. He supports me by saying things like "You got this ... only 10 seconds to go" and he congratulates me on a job well done when we are finished. So again ... I am THANKFUL to my husband this time for being a quick study and supporting me today. I am also THANKFUL for the wonderful weather outside that allowed me to run outside (which I enjoy so much more).

But I still can NOT be THANKFUL for running. I don't know if this will change, but running sucks big time. Even with a supportive run buddy Jill or a supportive version of my husband, I find myself wanting to kick someone in the face when they say "Ok ... we need to jog a little now." Especially after the 3rd or 4th time that they say it. So the last thing I guess that I am THANKFUL for today is self - control. Because I am pretty proud of myself for NOT kicking anyone in the face so far !!!!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment