Thursday, December 22, 2011

Steph: The Next Level




I HATE THIS STUPID "COUCH TO 5K" PROGRAM.

So the program gets me used to this 25 minute workout 3 times a week. You do the same run 3 times and then bump up a level. If you find a level too hard, then you repeat it before bumping up a level. OK, right?

THANK GOD my body finally starts getting used to this steady increase in activity. Of course I have sore muscles that I didn't even know existed. Every once in awhile, I pull a "HABENERO CHEDDAR" type move and trip over my own feet or run into a planter which causes more soreness. But it is all GOOD, I am slowly getting used to this.

Then, you hit the infamous 5th level. WTF.  All the rules change. You only get ONE workout at each level. They want me to run 3 - 1/2 mile segments with 1/4 mile walks in between. Ok, I can try that, which I did with HabeneroCheddar on Monday. And it was freakin' hard. I mean really hard. I thought I was going to die several times. Luckily, HabeneroCheddar is a rock star running buddy and AMAZING cheerleader. "YOU CAN DO IT .... JUST KEEP GOING." My favorite distraction of this rainy, drizzly, overcast day was HC looking around and saying that "At least we have beautiful weather to run in today." This got me laughing pretty good.

Anyway, I digress. So, 3 - 1/2 mile segments kick my butt, and then I look at the program just to make sure of what this morning's run should be, and they are ALREADY bumping me up to 2 - 3/4 mile segments with 1/2 mile walk in between. AND then Saturday, I am supposed to run 2 miles. WTF. Needless to say, I did NOT run two 3/4 mile segments today. I stuck to the 3 - 1/2 mile segments, and I almost died again today. You know what? Saturday I am running 3 - 1/2 mile segments AGAIN.

You know why? BECAUSE I hate how this program is all of a sudden trying to rush me. And in the beginning it told me that I could repeat things that were hard, so I am going to repeat. And next week, I will try those 2 - 3/4 mile runs. And I will do 3 of them. So take THAT stupid "Couch to 5k" program. I am modifying you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment