Sunday, December 11, 2011

Steph: I really think that kicking someone would help!!

So luckily, I was un-grounded by my doctor before race day. I was only able to get 2 runs in before race day, but felt O.K. about it.

Last Monday, I ran with my husband for the first time in over a week. It actually felt GREAT!!! I ran a 90 second interval and then 4 - 3 minute intervals. I left that workout feeling like ... OK, maybe this is how people who enjoy running feel. I still didn't enjoy it, but I could feel how other people might not hate it. Well, Monday was just a teaser...

Wednesday, I went running with my husband again. This time I felt like I was DYING!!! Every time, he said "run", I wanted to say "f**** you." Most of my runs were between 2-3 minutes, but I did not feel as comfortable with it as Monday. I was huffing and puffing. My left calf muscles cramped up at every run, and overall I just didn't want to be doing it anymore. It sucked!!!

So race day is Saturday. Oh great! All I have in my mind is that Wednesday run, and today we are doing it for about 1 more mile than I have been doing in training. AWESOME!!! For some stupid reason, I was nervous the night before. I had butterflies and difficulty sleeping. Then when I awoke, I had ENORMOUS amounts of nervous, anxious energy.

I arrive at the race and can't find my teammates. Great. Another reason for a smooth start. Once we find each other (thanks SmokedGouda!!), I am excited by the outfit finishing and the jingle bells, and the amazing costumes that I see around us including the leg lamp from "The Christmas Story!"

Then the race begins, and I swear JILL was out to get me this day. To be honest, she is an AMAZING running buddy who is moving a little slower than her own pace just to give me someone to run with. She did an amazing job giving me landmarks to run to (even though several of them are farther than the 1/4 mile at a time that I am currently used to!!!). Every time I ran, I got a huge stitch in my right side. She talked me through breathing and rubbing it out during the walks. I was feeling pretty O.K. Then my running buddy decided to PUSH ME to run back across the entire bridge (minus the incline/decline on each end). At this point in the run, I can honestly say that kicking something would have made me feel better.

We managed one more little run to finish the race at the end where our amazing club members SmokedGouda and Habenero Cheddar where waiting to meet us (as well as our husbands and families). Overall, not a bad first start. I am only 10 minutes (ish) behind SmokedGouda and Habenero Cheddar, so I don't feel like that much of a loser. I am going to keep it up though. And I am going to run an entire 5k.  After all, I have a bet with my husband to win!

No comments:

Post a Comment