Monday, August 6, 2012

Steph: The Happiest 5k

The number one thing that I learned while reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall was that every person used to find running fun.  When we were children, we ran everywhere.  Run to catch your friend during a game of tag.  Run down the street to see if a friend can come out and play.  Run around the pool to jump in (even though Mom told us not to).  I internalized this lesson.  If I can learn to enjoy running again and remember my childhood joy, then there are NO limits on what I can do.

So how do I do this???  I find the craziest, funnest races that I can.  Then dress like a goofball and run.  So I did.

"The Color Run" promises on its website that it is the happiest 5k on the planet.  Also, dressing up is encouraged.  So we went for it.  HUGE, FLUFFY, COLORFUL tutus to go with our all white t-shirts, tube socks, and sweat bands.  We looked awesome and we had fun!

Here are the many ways that I think that this really is the happiest 5k.

1.  DRESSING UP:  I have not worn a tutu since I was in the 5th grade.  Who doesn't like dressing up in big, huge, fluffy tutus???  Not me.  I LOVED it!  So much so, that I think I will have to wear a tutu almost every time that I run a 5k from now on.  Well, unless there is already another costume I am wearing.  Want to see how cute we look?  Of course you do :)

Steph, Jill, and Cara before the race :)
                                               
2.  START TIME:  There is no 'real' start time.  You can start the race any time that you want between 8am and 9am.  I mean, anytime.  There is no clock on the course.  You do not see a start time.  You do not see an end time at the finish line.  You just run and have fun while not worrying about silly times.

3.  TIMING CHIPS:  Time chips??  What are time chips again?

4.  COURSE MARKERS:  Sure, they have those.  Every 1k - well kind of every 1k, sometimes it might be 1.5k and other times just .5k, well who really cares right?  Anyway, every 1k"ish" there is a huge color station you run through.  They throw powdered paint at you and cover you in a different color.  Those white shirts don't stay white at all.  Remember when your parents used to tell you to be careful with markers or paint or whatever you were playing with?  Well, screw that.  Don't be careful here.  Run straight at the person throwing the paint.  Get as much on you as possible!!  It is fun.  It is messy.  It is glorious.

5.  RUN THE ENTIRE RACE WITHOUT STOPPING:  Not!  There is NO possible way to do this.  You just run and weave in and out and when you reach a color station - STOP!  Just walk.  That is the only way to get through them.  They are wall to wall people.  It doesn't really matter anyway.  It's not like your getting timed or anything :)

6.  FESTIVAL:  So once you get through all the fun above, you still have the finish line festival.  In a big field, right past the finish line, there is a stage with live music.  Everyone crowds around and opens their little bags of powdered paint (that you receive before the run).  Then, they count down.  And at 0, everyone throws their paint into the air and you get truly covered in color at this point.  Oh no ... did you miss the festival?  Don't worry.  They throw again every 15 minutes.  Oh no ... did you use your paint already?  Don't worry.  They throw more bags of paint out into the crowd so that there is plenty to go around in 15 minutes.  They don't care.  They just want you to have FUN!!  

7.  PICTURES:  How could pictures from this kind of event not be fun?

Cara, Steph, and Jill after the run and festival :)


No comments:

Post a Comment