Thursday, July 26, 2012

Jill: On the Calendar

We have 2 races coming up.  Like official-I-have-already-signed-up-and-paid-for races.  I am woefully unprepared

July: The Color Run

Doing a Color Run was Stephanie's idea. The race website claims it is "The Happiest 5K on the Planet".  Hmmm.  Clearly this is false advertising since there will be no wine (or alcohol of any kind for that matter) or cheese involved with the official race.  What IS going to make this the Happiest 5K for us is that we have decided to travel to Louisville to do the Sunday race. And we are going down Saturday night for night out on the town. And staying in a free hotel.  With no husbands.  And no kids.  Which makes me very happy indeed, but also means that we may be walking this event, which makes me even happier since I am unprepared.  In fact, I think I've spent more time thinking about outfits than actually training.  We have given careful consideration to our white outfits which include white tube socks, shirts, possible head and wrist bands, and the crowing achievement of very fluffy homemade tutus:



Great work, Steph. My new goal is not to have severe chafing on my arms by the end of the race.


August: The Mudathalon

This fine idea was first proposed by SmokedGouda after our Jingle Bell 5K.  So we all signed up as a team, chose our start time, and paid.  Guess who is now too pregnant to slosh around in the mud next month?  That's right, Ms. Gouda won't be joining us on this adventure.  I suspect she will be lounging around at home in the air conditioning, laughing a Dr. Evil-type laugh as she thinks about the rest of us running and climbing through the mud in hellish hot weather. My only comfort is knowing that she won't have a glass of wine in her hand.



This might be the most ridiculous thing we've signed up for yet.  First, I have a major problem with the fact that this supposed to be a running race.  Let's do the math: 40 obstacles over 3.1 miles.  Although the obstacles are not evenly spaced, the math teacher in me still needs to point out that there will be about three obstacles for every quarter of a mile.  So really this is less about running and more about jogging to the next obstacle.  Second, the obstacles have names like Shifty Spools, Tunnel of Terror, Heaping Hay Bails, and Cricketed Creek Crossing.  None of these sound particularly enjoyable.  Did I mention that I am unprepared?  The silver lining of this race is simple:  Beer at the finish.  At this point, I am willing to overlook the absence of wine and cheese and be thankful for any alcoholic beverage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment