Saturday, February 25, 2012

Jill: In Defense of Cheese

Unless you've been hiding out in a Cold War bunker recently, you have probably heard that the citizens of our country are getting a little thick around the middle, to put it nicely.  We now have an entire industry dedicated to weight loss, exercise, and healthy eating.  Experts deliver theory after theory about why our fatness has reached epidemic levels: sedentary lifestyles, laziness, medical issues, fast food, plugged in to our electronic devices too much, saturated fat, trans fat, not following the food pyramid, too much processed food, too much red meat, too little fruits and veggies, not enough exercise, portion sizes, calorie control, hormones and on and on and on.

So the ultimate question is what exactly is to blame for America's pudginess?  Take it from the teacher.  The answer is

D.  all of the above

Clearly, logic should win out on this one.  All of those factors combine in a variety of ways to affect each person in a different way. This is why one weight loss remedy works for one person but not another.

I don't begrudge any of the experts and advocates for taking a stand against one particular fat-causing demon.  Everyone deserves to have a soapbox to stand on.

That being said, I am drawing the line at this guy who wants to lay all the blame on CHEESE.  Seriously?!?  It is absurd to accuse Cheese, and Cheese alone, of causing the fat on those billboards.  (I'm so annoyed by this that I'm refusing to post the pictures of the billboards, but you can see them in the original article.)  He also claims that you should NEVER include Cheese in your diet.  Never?!  Cheese has been a part of the human experience for thousands of years, but people have not been packing on the pounds in such rapid fashion until relatively recently.

In my humble opinion, he has openly declared war on Cheese (either that or he is just simply crazy).  I, for one, will not tolerate this defamation of this most amazing food.  I will stand and proudly defend my love for Cheese.  I will continue to cover my organic, farm fresh broccoli with it (how else am I supposed to get it down?).  I will continue to slather my baked, multi-grain crackers with it.  And I will most certainly continue to use it as a side dish for my wine.

The line has been drawn.  You must choose your loyalties.  The time is now.

As it should be!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I bet I could cut cheese out of my diet entirely and not loose a pound (mind you I would cry a lot at night)...absurd is the best word and I'm not even sure I want to go and look at the billboard as it will just piss me off!
    ((hugs))
    M
    PS - almost almost took a picture of a guy running in jeans on the trail..but refrained due to complete embarrassment of drawing a camera...

    ReplyDelete